Wednesday 1 February 2012

Roasted Butternut Squash, Parsnip and Thyme Soup

Ola! I'm back!

Over Christmas and in the last few weeks I had some positive comments along the lines of 'Where's your blog gone? It's still on that mushroom soup!' and that in combination with more friends having blogs to follow has made me want to come back and keep on.

With a twist - of course.

Just making soup is kinda boring right? Anyone could just make the soup out of a recipe book, n'est ce pas? Why read about me banging on about it? What about reading about soups and other recipes I've created? Sound slightly more exciting? I readily admit I am no expert - heck, I'm not even a novice - but I'm going to attempt to bring you dead easy recipes from the things in your fridge (actually my fridge) as well as introduce to ingredients which may not be in your fridge but are well worth finding.

First up in 2012: Roasted Butternut Squash, Parsnip and Thyme Soup


Ingredients
Serves 4
1 butternut squash
2 parsnips
1 large onion
2-3 tbsp of olive oil
handful of fresh herbs (I used thyme here)
1 low sodium stock cube
Boiling water to cover (about 1 litre)

Step 1: Roast your veg

This could not be more easy. I sliced the butternut squash lengthwise in two and scooped out the seeds. You could peel it, but I didn't bother and did this later. Peel the parsnips and cut them into cubes. Peel the onion and chop into large chunks. Chuck all of this on a baking sheet lined with foil making sure that the squash is scooped side down. Toss a bit of healthy oil on the vegetables and throw some fresh thyme on top. (I think most any fresh herb would be nice. I don't usually have fresh stuff but happened to this time and they were nearly out of date - bonus!) Stick your baking tray full of veg into the oven on 200ºF for about 40 minutes.


Step 2: Make soup

When the vegetables are done roasting, remove the thyme and crumble the toasted leaves into a soup pot. Peel the squash, cut it into chunks and put in the pot with the roasted onion and parsnip chunks. (Watch your fingers, the squash will be a little warm.) Toss in a stock cube and cover with boiling water. Whiz with a hand blender (do you like our shiny new one?) and serve with bread. Yum if I do say so myself.



No comments:

Post a Comment