Sunday 12 February 2012

Awe... (can I have) ...some.

My mind was blown this week. Absolutely, no words for it, inspired beyond compare.

In September (or maybe May ;-) my high school bff, Bhavna. is getting married. We've been talking about wedding plans and ideas and she'd mentioned taking a course and learning to make her own wedding cake. I said, 'I can help!' and something was born.

I told Bhav I'd send her some pictures to help with ideas and in looking, I stumbled over... The Caketress.

The. most. amazing. cakes. I. have. ever. seen. Full stop.

(I found it difficult to work after I found this website/blog. My life needs more awe, more inspiration. I seriously considered quitting my job and offering to open Lori Hutchinson's mail just so she'd have more time to create awe-inspiring cakes. And she's a Canuck - ah but, of course.)

And if that wasn't enough - edible lace! It exists! My life is complete!

Inspired, I decided I would make a cake this weekend to practice some techniques and try out some ideas. It's no Caketress cake, but it's a start.


4 comments:

  1. Wow, Laura!! That looks professional!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Thea! (I deliberately didn't take photographs of the bubbly back though - not quite a professional yet ;-)

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Aw thanks... next time I think I'm going to try to do maple buttercream (though maybe too sweet?) and I'm learning how to make sugar gum paste roses next week from Claire, an amazing cake-baker at work. You'll be getting another hunk of cake in a plastic bag shortly!

      Delete