Monday 13 February 2012

Celeriac (my ugly friend and yours)

Don't you just love it when something defies expectations?

Celeriac is a perfect example. Ugly as sin, but tasty to beat the band. Such a humble vegetable - it even makes me feel bad for calling it ugly.


Alarming looking, yes?

This time of year in the UK, celeriac is easy to find and I do suggest you seek it out (it's kind of hard to miss). I've used it to make soup before and it's super easy to use (once you get that skin off), filling and tasty (like a sweet, nutty potato maybe? or kind of like parsnip but nicer?). Last night I decided to try it in a different incarnation though and made smashed celeriac.

 
(Some photos... nude celeriac after you've whacked off all the rooty bits and peeled it, chopped and in the pan, and smashed with bok choy/pak choi and veggie sausages. Apologies for the poor quality.)

I used a recipe by Jamie Oliver (who, btw, I LOVE but in a really platonic way) and be warned, it was quite garlicky. I'm pretty sure I still smell of it today though my work friend Dan assured me I was in the clear...

You could make a really simple soup instead by following the recipe and then adding a low salt veggie stock cube and enough water to cover. Boil it for a little longer (about 35-40 mins) and then whizz with a liquidizer. Alternatively, add more veg to start with - some celery, a leek, a potato, some parsnip or butternut squash - for a fuller flavour. I made the recipe exactly as called for and added chopped bok choy 2 minutes before serving. The heat from the dish gently steamed the greens and this addition is good for your intake of vitamins C, A and K. No joke.

I imagine celeriac would be amazing done like sweet potato fries in North America - a bit of salt and a bit of spice, deep fried with some chiptole mayo to dip in - my arteries are positively singing with joy... maybe I'll just have to give it a bash (a homemade, low-salt version, low-fat version that is). Don't worry, I'll take photos and let you know how it goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment